Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Ellen the Cook II

(a paraphrased msn chat)
I went to Baunkhun today for marketing. I found some kitchen curtain fabric and went down into the market and found some seeds for the garden and some chicken and veggies. Quite a feat on my own.  Carrying the stuff is the hardest. The chicken was a half and it was about 3 lbs for l60 rupees. Probably paid too much but the lady was sweet and probably won't hurt me to be out a few rupees. It was clean and in a screen covered box. I was impressed!  I like going to this market as it is only half as far as Aizawl and I can leave at 10 and be home for lunch. I can't get all the canned stuff or stuff like TP though.  I need to learn to speak Mizo a little though these ladies don't speak much English. Cooking and Cleaning washing clothes, doing dishes all take a lot more time than ever. Oh well, I have the time so far!  Sometimes supper is a bit late or confusing because I don't allow my self the time for cooking the meat. I am getting better and learning to do things ahead of time. They have these neat hot pots like a thermos bowl and they keep the food very hot so its quite possible to do things up ahead of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray & Ellen!
I just came across your blog today, and it was great to read about how things have been going in India so far. I'm glad the kids are enjoying themselves! It sounds so beautiful there compared to the snow we've had here lately : ) But most of it has melted now. Please say hello to Mawia and Para for us! Take care. Love, Sarina & Tim