Friday, December 29, 2006

Artificial Boundaries

On a recent visit to the small NE Indian state of Tripura I was reminded of the harshness of political boundaries. There was a time when Tripura extended in all directions as compared to its present demarcations. The result? Tripurees are stranded in other states and countries and separated from other tribesmen.

Of course, they are just one of many people groups which have suffered from imposed political boundaries. The population of the state of Mizoram is estimated at one million but of course there are Mizos not included within the prescribed this state’s boundaries. I suppose this unfortunate reality is true of almost every political boundary in the world. Every group wanting its own designated territory … and reaping the consequences.

The result? Homesickness, unsettledness, strive, even riots and killings.

The theologian in me immediately laments the same dysfunctionality among church groups. Each wants its own real estate (preferably more spectacular than that of the one next door), its own distinctives, its own membership, and, often, its own protected territory. Attractive signboards display who is included and who is not.

I have often dreamed of a magic wand with which I could pass through our cities and erase all the distinctive/exclusive signs and all that they represent … and maybe, just maybe, some of the hurt which they have imposed.

The apostle Paul must have had a similar desire for the splintered Corinthian church of the first century. “One of you says, ‘I follow Paul’; another, ‘I follow Apollos’; another, ‘I follow Cephas’; still another, ‘I follow Christ.’ Is Christi divided?” (1 Corinthians 1:12). Note: just because they used “Christ” as part of their designation did not exonerate them!
Paul’s ultimate solution: “I will show you the most excellent way.” (1 Corinthians 12:31b). And, then comes that great dissertation on the effectiveness of genuine LOVE, which (according to Colossians 3:14) ‘binds everything together in perfect unity.”
Maybe, as we step into 2007, the love of God will be more evidenced in Jesus’ followers than ever before. I pray so.

No comments: